Back to your local site:
 



Related sites

MontereyHerald.com:
The online publication of the Monterey County Herald newspaper in Monterey, California.





On the Road ... Tour de France



Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Affirming suspicions 

For the past few weeks, I've started to wonder if maybe I had overblown the lack of interest by Americans in the World Cup. Even though the U.S. team is out, relatively large numbers of people must still be gathering at various spots to watch games, right?

On Tuesday, during the first semifinal game between Italy and Germany, I figured I find out myself.

Now I know this is hardly a complete justification of my previously held bias, but I was surprised at how hard it was for me to find a suitable place to watch the game.

I live near Campbell — crazy commute, I know — so I figured I'd try a local Irish pub; at noon, the time of kickoff, it was closed. I then went down the street to a bar/resteraunt that advertising Sunday NFL viewing during the fall; it was open and had about 20 people watching the game. I was pleasantly surprised.

The 'pleasant' part quickly evaporated though, when I asked the bartender if it was OK to pull up a stool. She said, "You know, you guys are taking up all my stools and bar space. I need for customers." This shocked me a bit since I was, in fact, a customer, or at least planned to be. The other people watching the game were also customers, I thought, since they were drinking and eating food. I found a seat elsewhere and made the best of it. At one point a woman walked in and remarked, "Wow, the World Cup is still on." I watched until halftime and left.

I then tried another bar/resteraunt that was far more accomodating. There were 10-15 people watching the game there, but it was hardly a raucus crowd. At the end of regulation I decided to cut my losses and watch extra time at home.

I'm sure there are other spots around the Bay Area that would have been much better examples of the excitement this tournament is generating here. But that would have required making an effort to find one, and that kind of reinforces my point: that Americans, at large, just don't care that much and probably never will.

posted by FreeSanJose at 8:47 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment




James Raia

Get right up close to the peloton, as Herald correspondent James Raia follows the Tour de France. James can be reached at james@byjamesraia.com.

Jeremiah Oshan

Follow Herald sports copy editor Jeremiah Oshan to Germany as he cheers on the U.S. soccer team at the World Cup. Jeremiah can be reached at joshan@montereyherald.com.

 Latest posts
   •  Soccer holligans at the Tour de France?!?
   •  We call it soccer
   •  More from the Emerald Isle
   •  Ireland redux
   •  Sand, sunbathers and soccer
   •  I love the Mediterranean
   •  I see Orange people
   •  Busting stereotypes
   •  Sleepy beginnings
   •  It's D-day



 Archives
   •  June 2006
   •  July 2006

XML-RSS feed












About Realcities Network | About Knight Ridder | Terms of Use & Privacy Statement

Copyright 2006 The Monterey County Herald. All rights reserved. Any copying, redistribution or retransmission of any
of the contents of this service without the express written consent of the Monterey County Herald is expressly prohibited.