Back to your local site:
 



Related sites

MontereyHerald.com:
The online publication of the Monterey County Herald newspaper in Monterey, California.





On the Road ... Tour de France



Monday, June 19, 2006

I love the Mediterranean 

After a week of sleeping in countries in which I didn´t understand almost any of the local language, coming to Spain is a relief.

Not that I´m fluent, but three years of high school Spanish and being married to a woman who is a fluent speaker has at least gives me the comfort of knowing when someone really doesn´t like me.

Believe it or not, that can become a major issue in places like Amsterdam. While the Dutch seem to be a relatively polite culture, they don´t seem to care much for tourists -- to the point that they are almost entirely indifferent toward your existence. Of course, they´ll accept your money, but not one time during my week in Amsterdam did a waiter/bartender go out of his/her way to make me feel comfortable. I´m not expecting anyone to treat me like a king, but it doesn´t kill to smile once in a while.

Not to badmouth an entire country on the basis of one week in one town, but I was truly alarmed by how much disdain many Dutch seem to have for non-native speakers. It almost seems as if two cultures exist in this nearly universal bilingual culture -- one world for English-speaking tourists and one for Dutch-speaking locals.

Maybe Spain is the same way, but since it´s not such a bilingual culture it doesn´t feel as creepy. While not being able to speak Spanish here can be a serious limitation, I´ve never felt the contempt that I felt in Amsterdam. Maybe I´m being paranoid, but that´s how I felt.

This may also come as a surprise, but after watching Spain´s victory over Tunisia, I got the impression that the Dutch are actually more passionate about at least one thing -- soccer. While the Dutch were going absolutely bonkers for their team´s victory over the Ivory Coast, the Spanish were pretty subdued even though their win also guaranteed them a spot in the next round.

Again, it´s one day in one city, but considering how much of a big deal soccer is here, I would have expected more of a response. To be fair, I´m in a small, rather touristy town called Sitges. Maybe in five days, when I´m in Valencia it will be different.

posted by FreeSanJose at 2:32 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment




James Raia

Get right up close to the peloton, as Herald correspondent James Raia follows the Tour de France. James can be reached at james@byjamesraia.com.

Jeremiah Oshan

Follow Herald sports copy editor Jeremiah Oshan to Germany as he cheers on the U.S. soccer team at the World Cup. Jeremiah can be reached at joshan@montereyherald.com.

 Latest posts
   •  I see Orange people
   •  Busting stereotypes
   •  Sleepy beginnings
   •  It's D-day
   •  Ticket update
   •  My first mistake



 Archives
   •  June 2006
   •  July 2006

XML-RSS feed












About Realcities Network | About Knight Ridder | Terms of Use & Privacy Statement

Copyright 2006 The Monterey County Herald. All rights reserved. Any copying, redistribution or retransmission of any
of the contents of this service without the express written consent of the Monterey County Herald is expressly prohibited.